Monday, December 14, 2009

Update on Jenn:)

For those who are curious about the status of my health situation, or for those who have absolutely no idea what I am talking about but might like to know...I thought it would easiest to inform and update my blog and in that way, everyone who cares will be in the know on how I am doing :)
So, how do I summarize a 5 month and counting experience? I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

  • After a miscarriage in July, 2 D&C's (both related to same m/c), and months of continuous and major bleeding, my doctors figure there's something wrong.
  • 2 biopsies, a gazilion ultrasounds, and CT scan later, I find my self sitting in front of an oncologist who gives me a diagnosis:

Gestational Trophoblastic Disease

  • Apparently after I m/c, some of the 'tissue' embedded into my uterus and formed a small tumor. So, while GTD is a form of cancer, I have a 99% chance of a full recovery as long as it hasn't spread elsewhere...and it hasn't (phew!)
  • I've had 2 weekly chemo treatments and so far I've got 4 more scheduled...but the dose is very mild and the side effects have been really minimal. PLUS, test results show that the medicine is working...already! Hallelujah! I'm ready for this to be over!

So that's my story, in as few of words as I could manage! The hardest part of the whole thing really has been that the bleeding has made me very anemic so I am weak and tired all the time. And did I mention, grouchy? Yikes, poor Joe and the boys! Anyways, I will try to remember to post any updates on me when I hear any news from my doctor.

I also wanted to mention...it snowed here in Texas! How cool is that? It was very strange to wake up and to see white all around (a very thin layer, but still!)

12 comments:

Mindy said...

That almost makes me want you to sue your first doctor for missing tissue. I'm sorry you've been through such a hard time. I hope you continue to feel better!

Sarah Lunt said...

Oh my goodness Jenn! I'm so sorry to hear that you've been going through this crazy/scary ordeal. It sounds like you are handling it so well, I'm amazed! Thank you for updating us. We will be praying for you to have a quick and full recovery! May your Christmas be Merry, Sarah

katester said...

Oh Jenn, you have been in our thoughts and prayers since Suzy told us. We love you so much and are so thankful you are handling your treatments well. Hang in there!

Brian Adair Fam said...

Jenn, you are so amazing! Your attitude through this whole thing is so good. Thank you for your example. I'm sorry you've had to go through this. It has to be very difficult having 2 active toddlers to take care of, also. You are in our prayers! We miss you guys! Keep us posted on how the treatments are working! Have a wonderful Christmas!!

Pam Emmons said...

Wow, I am so sorry! YOu have had it rough! Good thing you're such a tough cookie! We will keep you in our prayers.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Sheesh, Jenn, little Mason is looking like more and more of a miracle baby all the time! I'm so sorry you are having to go through such a hard time. You're in our prayers! We love you!

Dave & Jada said...

Jen,Jen,Jen. You have not had a very easy time in the health department in that area. I will be praying for you. I really wish i was there to help you in any way!

Kelly L said...

Oh Jenn, I'm so sorry that you have to go through this now after the miscarriage. You'll definitely still be in our prayers and I pray that you'll post some good news soon. Have a wonderful holiday!

Tara said...

Whoa! That is crazy. You are a trooper. I guess your test has been postponed....I am taking mine officially January 11th. I keep postponing it because I keep learning all this stuff I have never really heard of and that scares me. If I pass then all is well, otherwise I get fired. So all good:) Let me know how things are going....

Shannon Sundberg said...

Jenn:
I just heard about what you have been going through over the holidays. I am so sorry you have had to deal with this. I am glad it looks like things are going to be okay. Please know that we are praying for you and will continue to do so. Such a beautiful family you have! Lots of love,
Shannon Sundberg

april said...

Hey Jenn, I have been thinking about you lately and decided to check your blog and get an update. I am so sorry to hear about what you have been experiencing. I know it's been a couple months since this post, and I hope that things are looking up for you. You are such a stong woman and honestly I can never imagine you being grumpy like you said. I pray that all is well with you and your darling family. If you ever have time, drop me a line! Love you!

Unknown said...

Oh Jen I'm so sorry! I wished I would have known to be their for you! If you have anymore treatments let me know I'll to take care of you and the boys! I can't wait to become better friends!